The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

CPC Vs CPM!

I've changed my argument for these a few times and think it depends totally on circumstances but I have used CPC the most in my time due to the control.

I find it better to test adverts on CPC, spend my money on the ones that are performing well then if I want to up the operation flick it over to CPM knowing that the ad yields clicks. It can however be beneficial to leave it on CPC, high CTR lowers the CPC and ROI increases whilst you are still in control of what's going on.

Last thing you want to be doing is paying for impressions when the advert is going to bomb, money down the pan.

So what do you guys prefer paying for PPC traffic?

CPC is best for split testing and delivers the best overall "bang for your buck". However, CPM pricing can be great for campaigns that you are looking to grow (ie. Branding) or drive large views towards.

Agree that it depends on circumstances. If you have branded nice ads that will bring you decent CTR, it's better go CPC. In other hand, CPM basis can bring you revenue as well. CPM works best for visual, branding-oriented campaigns while CPC is worthwhile for textual, response-oriented campaigns. Some obvious statements here :)

I had better success for example on some Adult Dating campaigns paying for CPM than CPC, the only problem is that the CTR tend to drop after a short period of time. But then again when running CPM you need to test and replace the low CTR banners with new ones. Using CPC will get you a stable campaign over time. It now depends on each marketer how they plan to run the offers. I had some problems that after 2 weeks of sending traffic to an Dating offer i got pulled off because the publisher didn't loved the traffic anymore. Now i tend to push allot more traffic from start using CPM and if they say the traffic is ok i try to find a stable solution for a longer run time.

+1 on PPC I always like to know what I'm spending. Plus most of the networks I run on only offer PPC, the few I do run with on CPM are hit or miss sometimes.

Personally, I like CPC when starting up a new campaign. But once I can get the CTR up and steady (knowing which creative are working) I'm all in and switch to CPM. Once the CTR is up, on a CPM, you can get clicks for a fraction of the price you would pay on a CPC. But then again, if your CTR sucks, well, it's like burning money. For that reason, I ALWAYS try and test and do as most optimization I can on a CPC and switch......

Personally, I like CPC when starting up a new campaign. But once I can get the CTR up and steady (knowing which creative are working) I'm all in and switch to CPM. Once the CTR is up, on a CPM, you can get clicks for a fraction of the price you would pay on a CPC. But then again, if your CTR sucks, well, it's like burning money. For that reason, I ALWAYS try and test and do as most optimization I can on a CPC and switch......

Yeah I agree, CPC to start with then split it against CPM but rarely does CPM out do CPC for me personally.

When CPC cost drop, I switch to CPM.

As a general rule of thumb, I would use CPC for results, CPM for branding...

HOWEVER...

If you create an ad copy that has an extremely high CTR then stick with CPM as it tends to be much cheaper in the long run and you can saturate a larger crowd with what you're promoting at the same time.

Hope that helps!

banners
Back