The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Copy Ninja's Guide to the Biz - Mini Series

copyninja

The Dojo Member
affiliate
Over the past several years, I’ve been exposed to a wide array of various situations. From having to make logical business decisions that sparked innovation online all the way to being held at gunpoint. One thing that I've always done is make it evident that I do have what's called a “silver tongue,” in both spoken form and written form. This helps me set myself apart from the others on the midway and other writers/marketers online who I may find myself competing with. It’s with these experiences embraced that I introduce CPAFix members and guests to a new way of thinking. A way that’s going to hopefully change the lives of many forever.

What you’re about to be exposed to is something very special, something that many have been waiting for years to see develop. It’s actually the spark that’s going to lead to the publications of a series of books that I’ve been mapping out over the years. Sure, I’m going to share a lot of experience and knowledge about writing, SEO, ad copy, and much more but you’re also getting exposed to a life that no other person will ever be able to live, except for the kids that I was blessed with the opportunity to bring into this world, and this is because the life is going to be passed on to them so that they can do it even better, and most likely even bigger than I could have ever expected. Time will only tell, but let me get into the meat of this post.

I’ve been M.I.A. for the past few months, and those close to me know why. I decided to live the life of a carny once again. I first started the carnival when I was 15, I’m now fixing to be 27 years old. I mostly worked rides with the exception of a game that we setup on the side of the road at convenience stores, flea markets, and any other hot spots that we could find where the next mark could roll in. The line of work that I’m in is considered to be the “show business,” because it’s just like movies, circuses and the like, the whole purpose is to entertain many with the hopes of being able to make their experience one that they’ll remember for a lifetime. I love that aspect of the business, and I also like how far you can get by hustling your ass off each and every day. Yes, you heard me say hustlin’, and this is coming from someone who used to be known for keeping the blocks on lock while slanging the rocks out to the fiends who created the demand for it, and one hell of an income for me.

Everyone who comes across me, whether in the carnival or in the marketing industry, see me as a hustler by nature. That’s just how I am and will always be. I’ve written for some of the most prestigious affiliate marketers and brands in the world as well as taken part in many lucrative campaigns that were worth millions of dollars. Before you even try to say it, I’m only me and I’m not claiming to have conquered the World Wide Web as we know it. I’m just a father who wants the best for his kids, a carny who loves the opportunity to be a part of the lives of many across the nation, a renowned writer who can do virtually anything with words (yes, even if it has to be backwards), an SEO guru, hustler, marketer, and businessman among many other hats that I have to wear at times. I’m not your run of the mill individual, I’m one of the best at what I do, because even if I’m not at the time, I’m a guy who can quickly embrace adaptation. This is the first key for those of you actually paying attention to what’s happening right before the eyes of many people around the world who have dedicated themselves to learning how to better themselves at what they do.

While I may have disappeared for a little bit, I want you to know that this post is what’s kicking off many awesome things here at CPAFix, with even more exclusive access to Dojo members. This is just my personal way of saying thanks to such a great community that wouldn’t have been possible with one of the best guys I’ve run across in the industry, which is none other than K of course.

For the first series, I’m going to expose people to the carnival business and how it can help you become a better writer and marketer all around. Not to mention, help many understand that a carny isn’t a filthy individual like the haters try to portray in their gossip sessions, but rather people who are talented and dedicated to making sure that the show goes on to entertain many men, women, boys, and girls of all ages.

Keep in mind, this series will be rolled out as a rough draft and fine tuned as I have time to get to it. Remember, I’m on the road moving a carnival game in the middle of fair season so it may take a little bit, but the education and experience that you’ll be provided with will be well worth the wait. Until next time, good luck with your endeavors and thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post.

Bear with me, this is a 20-part series through an adventure of a lifetime. Goin' hard ain't nothing to a boss. :)

Copy Ninja's Guide to the Biz - Part 1 - Getting in the Zone

First of all, I want you to know that this series is only for those who are truly serious about expanding their knowledge, making the most money online possible, improving their daily lifestyle, sharpening their marketing edge, and producing some of the best copy that the World Wide Web has ever seen. If that sounds like you, please….carry on.

I chose this to be the first post of my first series here on CPAFix because it’s criticalto take the time to focus and gain mental clarity for whatever it is that you’re doing. While the main area of this series is writing, you’ll also see how I’ve tied it into the various areas of affiliate marketing and general business just for the sake of embracing as much simplicity as possible.

I was actually reading the book “Rework” and it said how it would be wise to emulate the ways of drug dealers while conducting business, simply because of the way that they’ve been able to hone their talents to maximize the profit of their business ventures. Well, let me put it this way. In 2007, 2 days after Valentine’s Day, I was taken down by VICE in my hometown for trafficking crack, possession of a firearm in commission of a felony, and misdemeanor possession of marijuana. I had stacks of cash, enough electronics to start my own Radio Shack, and a lot of other things. Needless to say, I did perfect my talents to maximize the success of my business, even though I was a dope boy. I was only able to get to the top and gain the rep that I had because I got in my zone, on my own level, and succeeded at building upon what I had at all costs. Trap house, safe house, and hella other shit. You should have the picture by now.

When you write, you want to put yourself in the shoes of your readers, at least that’s the way that it should be. Pixar is great at creating movies because they actually take the time and effort to live the lives of the characters that they create and the outcome shines like a whole bag of diamonds. If you’re not digging the idea of writing, think of ways that you can relax and unwind so that you can become comfortable and have the ability to truly put your heart and soul into it so that you can craft a true masterpiece. Trust me on this.

Ok, now that I’ve covered the main part that relates to the main topic, let’s tie this into the carnival right quick, shall we? I don’t care what you say, I’m doing it anyways!

When I go out to a busy midway to grind it out, call people in to shoot some hoops, and stack money, that’s all I like to think about. Many people are thinking finally the time has come where James has opened up and shared some of his secret sauce responsible for dominating many niches with copy containing words that sizzle through the screen so hard that readers are pulling out their wallets, signing up to a newsletter, or doing whatever else the site or product owner wanted the person on the other end of the computer to do.

When you want something, there’s only one thing that you can do, get them (just like a dope boy hits the block where all his customers are eagerly awaiting his arrival). Later on, you’ll be fascinated when you can sit back with a drink in your hand saying I got them. Trust me, I do it all the time and it’s the best thing that could ever happen to my motivation. It's truly a rejuvenating experience.

In order to get it, you have to keep them in mind at all times. What I do is I think about what others expect from me. I test out ideas with funny looking minesweeper sunglasses to see if the crowds like it, I have the swag that nobody else can even think about having. I do me. When you want them to get on your level and help you out, you have to prove that you can get on their level first. The basics of human bonding have been refined right before your very own eyes.

Ask yourself, “what do I want?” Do you want the best or will you settle for the lowest quality. You want the best of course, so do whatever it takes to get the best. That’s the bottom line, direct from yours truly. BAM!

Last edited:
Copy Ninja's Guide to the Biz - Part 2 - Getting It

In the last part of this series, I talked about how it was important to get in the zone before you do anything else. Now, we're going to take it a little bit further and get into the importance of embracing creativity in a way that doesn't stop serving its original purpose. This is critical, because you always want to try out new ways of doing things, but you probably don't want to risk affecting your results in a negative manner.

Now that I've touched the tip of the iceberg, there's one thing that I want you to understand before you go any further into this series that I spent hours mapping, crafting, and refining...

When I talk about getting it, I mean you go out there and you really get it. Hit the block while it's hot and bring home stacks. You have to remember that I'm not only a writer and marketer, but I'm a hustler at heart. That's why I've done so well over the years in this industry, but I'm not here to boast about that.

When I work on the midway, I'm forced to be creative. For those of you who don't know, games aren't always liked. I work in a big basketball game that's a classic carnival game many people continue to hate on, even when we tell them that the rim they're aiming for is oval. I have just a second, sometimes not even that to grab someone's attention and bring them over to my game so we can finish getting them convinced that they need to at least try to win one of our big prizes. You want to take every opportunity to try new things, see if they work, and only use what works the best. You can be talking or writing, but if you're persuasive you'll always win, well at least 9 times out of 10 since nobody is perfect.

The old adage "closed mouths don't get fed" will always remain true. I see people who can't cut it and find themselves stuck in a town trying to survive because they didn't have what it took to make money. Always be direct with what you want, even if you're writing sales copy. When you don't beat around the bush, more people are going to be more apt to trust you in the long run. I've seen many websites fail due to having copy that took too long to get to the point. Always be simplistic and don't treat it as a "bullshitting session," bottom line.

On top of what I've already covered, there's one big pet peeve of mine that I've hated since day one of being in the business. People being lazy and copying campaigns, websites, designs, copy, etc. directly. Sure, it's one thing to analyze and find a way to beat your competition, but the all time low is when you become a copycat. You are your own person, so have your own swag, show people who you are and what you're about, and steer away from those who do nothing but copy and try to succeed. Those who put forth the extra effort are the ones who are going to end up being made. Uniqueness is the key to success.

Last edited:
Copy Ninja's Guide to the Biz - Part 3 - Shine Like a Diamond

By now, it's clear that you're serious about seeing what this series has to offer so now it's time to go harder than the paint. From here on out, you're getting an uncensored look at some of the things that have made me quite a bit of cash over the years. Now is your chance to shine like a diamond, but the question is are you ready?

The image that you paint is what people will see and determine whether you're going to be able to make stacks or go bankrupt. This is why writing is such a critical part of the internet. As writers, we have the opportunity to enter the homes, offices, coffee shops, restaurants, bars, and other venues around the world because we took the time to reach out to the world with whatever it was that we had to offer. However, if you don't craft your words properly and refine the copy until it's perfect, you're going to be in for a world of hurt. Just saying.

On the midway, we do a lot of work to make sure each game is stocked with fresh teddies, the game is clean, and everything is sharp and ready to go. One of the reasons that I enjoy working for the guy that I work for is that he takes a lot of pride in what he has, and his joints really do shine like a diamond. It's the extra effort that every entrepreneur should be putting forth at all times. The term "flash is cash" is something that we all take very seriously, you respect the flash (teddies and other prizes won by fairgoers) and keep the hottest in stock. For example, we're flooding the midway with Minions and other characters from Despicable Me 2. Not to mention, the countless light bulbs that allows each carnival game to light up the night.

When you go to a carnival, you know the experience is going to be a unique one. This is why it's a form of entertainment that many look forward to each and every year. You can also set the tones of environments with certain types of music your prospective customers may vibe with. The list goes on forever, and this is just a mini series so I'm only going to give you a taste of what the expanded version will cover, but it will be enough to get you started in the right direction for sure.

Now that you see how it is when the carnival is open for business, let's tie it into how it can help you improve your copy. Copy is what sets the tone and mood of readers, it's what seals the deal. Make sure that the tone you set is one that's going to work with your prospective targets. Many people overlook this step in writing way too often, and it's only detrimental to their success when they do because writers like me will come and snatch up the money that they took for granted.

If you can see it, we're touching the tip of basic psychology here. That's what writing is about in this business, persuading the readers to do what we want them to do. Go to popular blogs where the actions of people are discussed and make sure that you know what your target audience is doing and thinking at all times. How can you persuade them to come your way instead of someone else's?

Last edited:
Copy Ninja's Guide to the Biz - Part 4 - Sharpen Your Edge

If you want to make the most money and produce the best results, you have to be at the top of your game. It's easier than many people put it out to be. Network with other people who do what you do so that you can see how they're successful, see what's working for your competition, spin off other people's ideas and one-up them with something totally different, but that hits the strong point that made them successful in the first place.

We do the same thing in games, we watch other people to see what makes them successful. This teaches us how to refine our talent and make it even better than before. This is a lifelong journey, so make sure that you don't forget about it in the long run. When you take the time to sharpen your skills, the tasks that you have ahead of you will be so much simpler.

For writing, I recommend Copyblogger and MenWithPens.ca. Just remember, maintain your own swag no matter what.

Copy Ninja's Guide to the Biz - Part 5 - Live the Simple Life

How many people do you think over-complicate things to the point where they turn out to be unsuccessful? Let me tell you the number is pretty large, and I'm sure that you don't want to end up being one of them. That's why you're here, seeing how it can be done in a simplistic way. However, this series turned out to be larger than expected due to the amount of things that had to be taken into consideration.

"Rework" was a great book on simplifying a business as well as the way you do things. Why would you take the time and money to go extravagant when you can go simple and make even more profits? I'm sure that you get what I'm saying here. When you go to write something, just plan out something simple. Each series of this guide was 1-5 sentences to start out with and that is what I used to let it flow right out of my fingertips. When you live simple, you easily succeed where others work unnecessarily for average results.

Another thing that sucks when you over-complicate is that your copy is losing the attention of your readers. Get their attention, maintain their attention, and get them into what your copy is about. It's as simple as that and it doesn't take a book crammed full of random rants to teach you that. It's an education that you should be given without having to beat around the bush.

Last edited:
Copy Ninja's Guide to the Biz - Part 6- Showstopping

Showstopper huh?

Alright, so now you seen that you have to make your copy (or any other journey) so clean that it stands out to those who come across it, you have to put forth a lot of time increasing your knowledge, and that you have to do whatever it takes to get the attention of your targets. Why I focus so much on those points in the beginning is because I want to be the one doing the show stopping. Whether I'm on the midway or promoting a service/product, I want to be the one that makes people stop and pay attention to what it is I'm doing so that their curiosity can be fed.

There are so many ways that I make this possible, it could fill a whole book if I were to sit down and try to lay them out. For now, I'm going to spare myself the time. Think about what you write or do, whether it's ad copy, telemarketing, sales copy, product information copy, review copy, or whatever it may be, make sure that it sparks your targets so much that it brings them in.

Think about this part like fishing. The best catch is going to be the one that you lure from the school of fish, it works the same way with people and audiences. If you can get a big crowd in front of you, the odds are greater that you'll pull the big fish out than if you were just hitting at it here and there. The bigger the crowd, the more people, the more people, the more opportunity that you have to maximize your income and/or profits. What you want to do is craft your copy in such a way that it gets damn there everyone to stop and double-check themselves to see if they could be missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime. Even if it isn't the opportunity of a lifetime, it could be the opportunity of the moment and sometimes that is worth more than its weight in gold.

You have to be easily liked and provide an experience that will hang with those that it comes across. Roll the red carpets out, because it's time to bring in the crowds and see who's going to help produce the results that you've been waiting for this whole time. This is what it's all about, doing whatever it takes within reason to experience many profitable journeys during one's lifetime.

Now get out there and be the showstopper!

Copy Ninja's Guide to the Biz - Part 7 - Crafting Enticing Titles

Now it doesn’t matter if it’s the title of a webpage or the subject of an email, a title still serves the same purpose and that’s to draw people into the body. If you have a title that provides readers or visitors with the solution that they need, the odds are that they’re going to take the time to read the copy that goes along with the title that attracted them.

You’ll see many websites that have poor titles, but even back in the day Google would still evaluate CTR when ranking pages within their SERPs. If you had a poor title, you may have seen top rankings for a minute, but they were only temporary. When you do anything, you want it to be long-term. Do you want to make 1M now, or would you like to make it time and time again over the long run? Yea, I figured you’d choose the latter option.

Take time to draft out numerous title possibilities and narrow down your selection to the best of the best. Split test and see which ones work stronger. It’s not rocket science, but it does take a little bit of work from your end if you want to see the best results possible. Just remember, you want to be blunt at all times and tell people what they want to hear from you when they come into your direction.

Copy Ninja's Guide to the Biz - Part 8 - Using Your Words As a Weapon

This has to be my favorite part of this series, because I continuously craft my skills of using my words as a weapon no matter how good I may have gotten at that point in time. If you can realize that your words can benefit you if used properly, you'll have a golden door waiting to be opened up to a bounty of opportunities. Marketing is about building up hype and sales is about persuasion, both of these will be needed in order to properly craft copy that yields a high amount of conversions. Now that you have the general idea of this section pretty much down, let's help you understand how you can properly use your words as a weapon in order to benefit you time and time again throughout the many journeys that await you.

When you write, you not only want to put yourself in the shoes of your readers, but you also want to keep in mind how the copy is going to benefit you. Is it going to do better if you grabbed their emails so that you can funnel them into another sales funnel and then send them off to get you your first conversion from them? You never want to forget how the copy is going to help you out and you never want to overlook other streams of revenue that you can generate from your leads.

Once you know the above, you can mold your whole piece around its purpose. Writing is both an art and a science when you think about it. In order to rank, you have to do certain things and in order to convert to certain audiences you have to do certain things. Think about writing like pottery work and you'll be alright. You start off with a general idea, then go to the title (or you can do this last), discover the true purpose/direction, and mold the words around the intent.

Just use your words as weapons and you'll do nothing but maximize your success.

Copy Ninja's Guide to the Biz - Part 9 - Perfection isn't reached the first time.

Reserved for part 9.

Last edited:
MI
Back