The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Changing host help

M

mrcrowley

Sometimes the host my directory is on seems a bit slow and i'd like to move it to another host. The problem is i'm a bit green in this area... Setting it up was easy but moving especially when it comes to sql databases i don't know much about. I think i can handle the file transfers.
I'd like not to start from scratch.

Does anyone have or know of a tutorial for switching hosts with a phpld directory database and all?

Thanks!

yes my host has cpanel. Some parts of it i'm familiar while others i'm not...

I wont hi-jack the thread by advertising my Hosting Company here but if you pm me i will supply details.
We will assist in moving sites FREE to new customers.

I'm not going to make any decisions yet its not urgent.

If you have an offer you can pm me with the details, the more details the better like hosting homepage, bandwidth, packages and prices, disk space, cpanel is a must etc. I'm not making any decisions right now but i appreciate any offers i get.

Thanks!

Jamie, here is how to proceed with your changeover:

1. find a new host, pay for the hosting and get your login info
2. backup your directory database and all the site file contents
3. Login to the new hosting control panel (without changing you domain to the new host just yet)
4. You should be able to upload your files, database etc via IP address of the new hosting company.
5. Once your file is uploaded to the new host, change your domain dns to the new host.

You will not experience any downtime at all.

Good luck

but make sure you leave the site up at the old address as well, because google and other spiders do not spider domains, they spider IP adresses, so until your old IP is no longer getting hit by the spiders, make sure the hosting is up. A month or two should be enough! :)

google and other spiders do not spider domains, they spider IP adresses,

Is this so James? there are some custer servers that serve www request via proxy server, they do not let you get anywhere near their webserver or know the IP address of their webserve. search engines still index such sites based on domain name rather than IP address.

Hate to repeat myself, but most decent hosting companies will assist in migration, not just mine.
Tutorials are great but if you get it done gratis, why bother??

I am not sure its the duty of a hosting company to help in migration. Their responsibility is to help you make the most of the webspace they sold you, if you are going to another company, the best your existing hosting company can offer you is to advice you on how to back up your site, they will not know what the new set if is at your new hosting company so how can they help you once you left them?

Maybe then i should make this a selling point!
I have to remember when i first had websites, and changed hosts more than i did my undepants! Looking for the best deal all the time, i had loads of agro with migrating the sites(lack of knowledge) thats why i offer to help migrate to my hosting company now.
What do you think? Good selling point!
I must be honest i dont promote it much, do you think i should?

Maybe then i should make this a selling point!

I think its a good selling point. When I run a hosting company, when the company was still small, I offer this services as well. When it became quite sizable, I stopped. You won't belive the amount of bother you get into with this.

LOL....oh I already do!!!
Just wanted to say thanks for doing me a great service today, after signing up for your service i can only assume you worked your a$$ off to move my site in the time you did.

Thanks for the great service and also thanks to myself for keeping my head and not being too much of a n00b :laugh:

itrader will be sent

Just wanted to say thanks for doing me a great service today, after signing up for your service i can only assume you worked your a$$ off to move my site in the time you did.

Thanks for the great service and also thanks to myself for keeping my head and not being too much of a n00b :laugh:

itrader will be sent

Your welcome, thanks for signing up.

itrader back at ya!

banners
Back