The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

[CASE STUDY] cloudflare vs. akamai

Mr.T

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I thinks this could be an interesting topic.

Right now I'm doing media buying in a few verticals.

For my Landingpages I use an VPS with cloudflare CDN to speed up everything.

I read an articel about Rackspace cloud files an thought I can host my files there, because I don't have to manage the Server and only pay for what I need.

So I switched everything to Rackspace and then my conversion just dropped extremely for more then 24 hours, after this time I switched backed to my old envoirement. In the 24 hours I sent arround 5k clicks over the Landingpages so this should be statistical significant.

What I want to do in this case study is analyzing the services and split test them against each other and then share the everything with you.

Right now I set up the Landingpages and configurate a few campaigns to see what happens in comparison. The next thing to do is analyze both CDN with googles page speed

Cheers, first update will come in a few days.

The first few test are finished an the results are clear.

I added everything in an table for an better overview.

The Test
  • Max CDN Ping test
  • Max CDN HTTP test
  • Google Page speed 1 (small site)
  • Google Page speed 2 (big site)
  • Pingdom test 1 (small site)
  • Pingdom test 2 (big site)
comparison.png

As you can see cloudflare is always faster in my test and in an buisness where speed is everything this are some hard facts.

What I'm doing right now is running a split test the same LP.

The different website sieze between cloudflare and rackspace akamai, because cloudflare add some javascript to the site not sure what it does but it's only abouz 8 kb.

Next thing todo:
  • loadimpact test both
  • loadimpact without CDN enabled, I'm intersted what happens to the Server

What else would you prefer to test?

Last edited:
The first few test are finished an the results are clear.

I added everything in an table for an better overview.

The Test
  • Max CDN Ping test
  • Max CDN HTTP test
  • Google Page speed 1 (small site)
  • Google Page speed 2 (big site)
  • Pingdom test 1 (small site)
  • Pingdom test 2 (big site)
View attachment 3745
As you can see cloudflare is always faster in my test and in an buisness where speed is everything this are some hard facts.

What I'm doing right now is running a split test the same LP.

The different website sieze between cloudflare and rackspace akamai, because cloudflare add some javascript to the site not sure what it does but it's only abouz 8 kb.

Next thing todo:
  • loadimpact test both
  • loadimpact without CDN enabled, I'm intersted what happens to the Server

What else would you prefer to test?

Sorry to bump this old thread, but would be interesting to know which Cloudflare plan you were using..

Sorry to bump this old thread, but would be interesting to know which Cloudflare plan you were using..

It's not an accurate test. It's testing the latency between the testing server(s) and the CDNs. There's no guarantee that those results will be reflected in a user's browser location and the CDN/server. You want accuracy? Use javascript to calculate latency client side in their browser, collect it and compare.

banners
Back