The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

buying article content or write by yourself?

It depends on the kind of blog you have. If it's more about personal ideas and experiences, then of course you have to write the articles on your own. But if you're blog is more about reviews, instructionals, and how-to articles, then you have to option to have these contents written by other writers and purchase it...

Personally, I prefer writing stuff on my own since I have the control over the quality of the content I am publishing. I have hired other writers before, but even though they are qualified to do the job there are still unavoidable errors in the contents being published...:)

Hope this helps!:)

Yeah, it depends on your content needs. If you can outsource it and remain effective, you probably should at some point. You should know what you're looking for, though; I wouldn't recommend starting off by buying all your content. You should craft it yourself (at least for a while) so you can get very familiar with what works and what doesn't work. Then, once you're able to produce content in your sleep, you can start outsourcing based on your solidified understanding of what you're looking for (quality and content-wise). Then you can start actually getting some sleep ;)

teardroptony9 told the truth. It all depends on the type of blog you have.

I have tried few writers for my blog but didn't go well even after giving proper instructions and guidelines. So I prefer to write all the posts by myself. Helps me to maintain the quality of posts on my blog.

First priority write yourself as you know better about your topic. You can better write SEO Optimized content than a writer.
If going to choose a writer, choose one with good experience

btw I am also a writer, if needed any help let me know. I own blogs too therefore I can write good content

Even if you can't or don't know how to write good articles, it's good to know at least the basics when hiring someone else to do it, so you know if it's done correctly or not.

Also, if you're hiring a writer, make sure that you give very clear instructions as to what you want, the tone you want it written in, type of site it will be placed on, etc. If you don't give as many clear instructions as possible, you may end up with a lot of back and forth. Wastes both your time and the writer's. If you're paying by the hour, could cost you more, as well.

Yea you need to be a good writer to create outstanding content these days. Google is really ramping up on content relevancy, uniqueness and quality, and it's only going to get harder and harder to rank crap content as time goes on. If you're doing PPC or anything not relying on search traffic, then great content is still of the upmost importance to get the sales and $$$ :)

Recommend you find a good writer or become a good one yourself :)

I might not make sense buying content since 2/3 of these contents are generated or even spinned.

I haven't seen much spun content in a long time. I think Panda put an end to most of that, maybe even before Panda.

If you're hiring a writer, ask to see samples of their work, or ask around and get recommendations from others for a good, reasonably priced writer.

Some times I hire someone write articles for my blog, because they have difference words and tones :)

Some times I hire someone write articles for my blog, because they have difference words and tones :)

Thats also a great way to look at it, setup a platform with different points of view... Create conversation, an opinion blog. However, as some colleagues have mentioned it actually depends on the type of blog you are setting up. Maybe you just need quality content with a neutral tones, thats a writer that knows your tone and your perspective on things so that the content they generate doesnt clash with the overall tone of your pieces.

For this to happen, as @azgold mentioned, you need to start the blog yourself, test out content, tones, pieces etc. see what your audience reacts to, and once you know what works for you, you will have detailed instructions to hire the best content writer for the blog :)

I haven't seen much spun content in a long time. I think Panda put an end to most of that, maybe even before Panda.

I was just thinking this the other day! For once, we have something to thank Google for. (Well, actually, I guess many folks around here preferred the ease of using spun content.) I'm super happy about this - the good stuff is easier to find than ever. Of course, just because we haven't seen spun content doesn't mean it isn't still out there - it's just completely ineffective now. I hope people here aren't still buying it...

As for single or multiple contributors, I agree with @azgold and @MarinaKimia - it really depends on the niche and what the audience expects (or, rather, wants). If there's a particular name that is strong and carries authority, the audience would be disappointed by varied perspectives; they want the expert, flaws and all. On the other hand, if there's no authoritative expert, then multiple contributors could work really well - but the platform itself has to be positioned to support the authority of those contributors. The author him/herself isn't so important, but the trust readers have in them is.

Take two examples: the New York Times (legendary publication that's been around for more than a century) and Charles Ngo (affiliate marketer who hit it big less than a decade ago).

With the NYT, I can name maybe a couple of their better-known writers off the top of my head, but I still trust everything I read in their publication regardless of who wrote it (with the typical grain of salt). Why? I'm biased because my experiences have always been positive. I trust the brand name, and I expect them to be flawless on average. Anyone that contributes is worth my time because the many prior experiences have proven to me that the New York Times is worth my time. The editors are running the show and they work hard to preserve this identity.

On the other hand, Charles Ngo also accomplishes this, but on a different level. Is he perfect? No, but I accept any errors he makes because it's coming from a source I trust. The writer himself is running the show, so he doesn't have to work hard to preserve who he is - he just has to be consistent in his own writing. The hard part? He's gotta actually write it! But it's more intimate and easier to control the consistency.

While my precise expectations are different for each source, my respect for their work is the same - and I value both of them equally ("same same but different").

So at the end of the day, you have to consider the perception you're creating with your content. No matter how it plays out, you should know whether you're the NYT, Charles Ngo or something in between - those were just examples, but the idea runs through every successful blog. You know what to expect when you go there. Buying content from random sources threatens that consistency, but if you know what your audience expects and wants, you can guard it with a bit of effort. And the better your writers are, the less you'll have to work at it - hell, if you hire a truly great writer, s/he will charge you money but will also make sure they earn it back by being proactive in their interaction with you - they won't hold back awesome ideas that you might have missed.

There's more here, of course - we like stories and we like people who remind us of ourselves, which is why we accept flaws in personal narratives; we go to different sources for different reasons (I wouldn't visit Ngo for political reporting, even if he posted about it). It's all about how you position it, then back it up.

@Ben@Advidi - I agree with what you said. Trust and consistency is certainly a winning combination!

I think that multiple writers are perfect for multi-niche sites. However, I see it as having the same writers creating their respective columns/posts each time. This still provides the trust and consistency, much like your NYT example.

I don't think it will be great idea to buy article from outside as a blogger. For me, I mostly use my content for posting. Actually in this way I can easily know that what I am doing and submitting for others.

I don't think it will be great idea to buy article from outside as a blogger. For me, I mostly use my content for posting. Actually in this way I can easily know that what I am doing and submitting for others.

That certainly gives you good control over your content.

People who have hundreds of sites would have a hard time with that but if you're running one or two, that's great.

All the discussions above are fantastic. I am looking for content for my blogs in different niches. Any recommendations, please let me know.

All the discussions above are fantastic. I am looking for content for my blogs in different niches. Any recommendations, please let me know.

What type of content? You can go through a general freelance network or you can seek out talented writers within the community. There are some creative ways to find it - reddit is one of my personal favorites, as they have lots of talented writers who don't realize they can make money; you help them launch a career and also get good content for a good price if you vet your candidates well).

Feel free to PM me if you want some specific advice but don't want to share your niches publicly - I'm not looking to start anything new so your secret is safe :)

There are tons of places to find good writers, including placing ads on job boards for writers.

Before you hire anyone, make sure you ask to see samples of their writing, preferably on their website, or some other place where you can verify (as best as possible) that is really they who wrote the samples. Sadly, I've seen it happen that the finished product nowhere near matched the excellent clips.

MI
Back